Dear Reader,

4 comments


Dear Reader,
About nine years ago I was much younger than I am now...nine years younger to be exact.  I expect older folks to scoff at nine years and the kids to think, "man, nine years, that's a lot!". That's how time moves...slow with the young and fast with the old.  Anyway, nine years ago, I was young and disappointed in the one world I cared about, writing for the movies...trying to write for the movies...writing for other people...just trying to write.  After a screenplay meeting with the most bullshit of notes, I came home and started this music blog called We Listen For You.  I called my closest friend Hank and we decided to have a communication, a sharing of music, just the two of us...if people read then cool.  In the years to follow we became read by a few and accepted by my personal music blog heros (that was an actual thing back then) like Aquarium Drunkard, I Guess I'm Floating,  My Old Kentucky Blog, and even blocked on twitter by most members of Pitchfork who introduced me to more great music 1999-on than anybody.  I was passionate and fueled by trying to help anybody and everybody who wrote music that changed my life.  Hank and I fought for the unknown great because that was what this was all about...and the times where we couldn't help (which was often) came with a burden.

Now it's 2016 and sadly it feels like on any level of music writing...nobody gives a shit.  Bare with the constant ....'s because this is off the cuff and will never be edited.  We needed Pitchfork back in the day because nobody was standing up for the non-mainstream.  It was important and a need in a bunch of people was formed.  A need to discover and share. Which brings us to today.  Anybody with a streaming service and a social media platform can "discover and share"...so music blogs are dead, right?  No.  I named this blog We Listen For You not because we're cocky jerks who think we know more about music than you...rather the fact that there IS SO MUCH MUSIC to listen to and digest, that we would be the source to listen to EVERY submission and report back to you the reader on our findings. That's all gone with the fact that anybody can surf 120+ years worth of music with a few clicks around Spotify.  I used to burn clickbait large music websites at the cross for pandering, but after years of confusion it's clear..these large sites either had to play the game or become irrelevant.  Pitchfork, Stereogum, Consequence Of Sound, etc had to adapt and do "clickbait" not because they're soulless assholes, no, the readers demanded the popular clickbait content and they obliged to survive...thus is life.

Enough about other websites, what about this nothing music blog We Listen For You.  For now on, all of our posts will be in letter format.  If we write about a band, it will be addressed to said band.  If we write a "thinkpiece" (oh, how that's become a terrible word) it will be directed at those we want to talk to.  In the letter format we will be able to 1.) write when we want to write (regardless of the track/album/concept is "new") 2.) Allows us to be sloppy and unprofessional as we have been for nine years...spelling mistakes shouldn't bother you when the writer is honest (we're still on blogspot..come on) 3.) The ability to highlight a band with 10 followers on Facebook.  If nobody is reading and we're not making money, who cares if a post gets no hits...we don't. 4.)  We get to stay true to the entire point of this music blog...share music that we care about.

Which brings us to what Hank and myself expect from you.  If you're reading this then you know about us, which is rare.  We want to be open, free formed, and share good music with you.  What we want from you is to simply check in to this site every once in a while and enjoy.  That is all.  Great music and the experience of sharing sounds that move you isn't that complicated...so let's not make it so.  For nine years we've been ourselves and through this new letter system we're going to get more personal...talk to band rather than talk down to them...and just enjoy an art form that is supposed to be loved rather than expounded upon to make the creator less than the critic.  The world of music journalism will always be in a state of flux...with our new letter system we feel that our site will be a timeless and honestly imperfect space where two people can reach out...talk about what music they love...and nothing more.

4 comments:

  1. You guys are the best. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss your writing. Looking forward to reading more from you and listening to more musical gems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys have always been one of my favorite sites, and I'm excited for what you do next. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fellow journalist floating the internet space, I tip my hat to you guys and just want to toss in my two cents of "I like what you do, please keep doing it."

    Also, kudos for sticking on blogspot. ;)

    ReplyDelete